Wednesday, September 19, 2012

When is a wedding fun to shoot???

A wedding is only really fun for me to shoot when the couple Im shooting are truly relaxed, having fun and a joy to be around...eachother!  Sounds like every wedding right?  Not so from a photography perspective... All too often weddings are set up like a fashion shoot and the photographers job is more about staging phony setups and poses that would belong in a bridal magazine rather than a personal wedding album.  These photos say absolutly nothing about that couple, who they are and what they really mean to one another. I have always steered away from these types of weddings because it becomes more of a production than a celebration of two people joining their lives.  I honeslty think that the heart and soul is missing in alot of wedding portraits of today.  In my view, the photographer is there to witness the event and capture it from afar, but with the close eye of a lens... This is what can capture those real honest moments; the moments that their partner saw in the first place that made them fall in love...  Wedding photography should capture all of those things and more... now of course you have to have those set ups with family, etc...but those shots can be a celebration too, and one in which everyone is alive, experiencing joy, having a good time and most importantly; a reflection of the couple they are there to honor...thats what I loved about shooting R&R's wedding.  They were just being themselves, and I just fleeted around that day.  I was a witness who happned to have a camera in tow.  Joy breeds joy and thats the energy that was flowing this afternoon and everyone was infected with that spirit.  I was smiling when I was taking these pictures because I felt the connection between these two, and it was powerful.  When that happens you capture magic, you feel what they feel, you see through their eyes forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment