Wednesday, March 20, 2013

When a child teaches me how to be an adult...and other lessons

Ok.....  Meet Cam... an 11 year old actor in town currently in the Rep/Living Room production of "Carousel"   We have an early morning shoot scheduled on a freezing day downtown. He shows up with father in tow... sporting a ready to shoot outfit and several options to boot.  He smiles politely, extends his small hand and says "Its a pleasure to meet you Manon, Thank you for taking the time to take my pictures  today."  This wasn't rehearsed as I found out soon enough... This kid is a real throw back, He was a gentleman in a boys body and had the manners and air of Clark Gable.... no kidding.  I am always struck by the folks who I shoot.  Everyone's personality is so different and unique in it's own special way.  I enjoy the people I shoot and I love their stories.  But it never ceases to amaze me how I'm always surprised by what people bring to the table and what is special about them.  For Cam... It was his quiet maturity that comes across so strongly in his photographs.  His folks did a good job as they say, and no doubt he will grow up to conquer whatever he puts his mind too.  He reminded me that simply being polite, kind  and appreciative is a strength I sometimes don't possesses if I'm in a hurry, or I'm impatient with life's demands, or just the sometimes everyday stresses life throws at us all. He owned his positive attitude effortlessly and you could tell he was content.  It nice to have that energy coming at you because you can't help but to absorb it, and I was thankful to share in that.  Thanks "kid" for reminding me of what its like to be an "adult" and how to act like one.

No comments:

Post a Comment